Pumpkin soup that will soothe your winter chills
With the weather getting colder by the day, this wholesome pumpkin soup will chase your winter blues away! Pumpkin soup is a staple in many households and is packed with maximum taste and nutrition. This soup wins over many children, with its mild flavour and creaminess.
Pumpkin has such a rich orange colour and this brings with it many benefits! It is packed with vitamin A, lutein and zeaxanthin that help protect eyesight. Children need vitamin A to support growth and development and to build their immune systems too.
Pumpkin Soup – Serves 6
- 1.2 kg / 2.4 lb pumpkin (any type) OR butternut squash , unpeeled weight
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , peeled whole
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable or chicken broth/stock , low sodium
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup (125 – 185 ml) cream
- Cut the pumpkin into 3cm slices. Cut the skin off and scrape the seeds out. Cut into 4cm.
- Place the pumpkin, onion, garlic, broth and water in a pot – the liquid won’t quite cover all the pumpkin. Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat and let simmer rapidly until pumpkin is tender (check with a butter knife) – about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use a stick blender to blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir through cream (never boil the soup after adding cream, as it will split).
- Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle over a bit of cream, and sprinkle with pepper and parsley if desired.
- Serve with any bread and enjoy!
Check out our other posts
- How to get your children to eat more fruit and veg in 3 colourful stepsWe all know that fussy eaters can really turn dinner time upside down! Here are some fun and interesting ways to get your children to eat more fruit and vegetables.
- Tasty San Choy Bow in just 30 minutesNeed a tasty dinner in 30 minutes or less? We’ve got a crowd pleaser that will have your child exploring new textures and flavours at dinner time.
- Colourful vegetable noodles that children loveNoodles make the world go around! This classic weeknight recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser at dinner time. Enjoy colourful noodles with a sweet soy based sauce.